small possible bug in nvidia driver

Stephen Adler adler at stephenadler.com
Wed Jan 7 03:57:57 CET 2015

Guys,

I've spent the last week suffering over trying to configure my two 4K
dell up3214q monitors to work properly with my nvidia quadro k2200 card.
The hardware works fine, but the dual tiling mode which is common with
high end 4k displays throws the linux display software into a tizzy. In
any case, as I was generating xorg.conf file after another, I noticed a
small issue. The nvidia X server Setting GUI generates an xorg.conf file
which has the following files section....

Section "Files"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1"
EndSection

Now the nvidia files I install from rpmfusion repository generate the
following file

[adler at office01 ~]$ more /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-nvidia.conf
#This file is provided by xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
#Do not edit

Section "Files"
	ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/nvidia/xorg"
	ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

which has its own "Files" section. So when I go to start the x server it
bombs because it looks like the x server picks up the Files section in
the xorg.conf file and ignores the files section specified in the
xorg.conf.d directory. So my work around was to add the two modulepath
directives into the primary /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Before I messed around with trying to get my 4k monitors working, I just
downloaded the nvidia drivers from rpmfusion and all worked fine (at
least I thought it did) I noticed I was having font problems in my web
browser (firefox) especially when I used the <ctrl>-<scroll button> to
execute the zoom in/zoom out function in firefox to enlarge the fonts.
The font sizes got all whacky I and I just thought it was a broken
browser issue. But once I configured the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11,
generated from the NVIDIA X Settings GUI and added the two modulepath
directives from 99-nvidia.conf file, the fonts in firefox are much
better.

So, I'm wondering if the 99-nvidia.conf file should also include the
font path for the Type1 fonts.

Anyway, those are my two cents worth.

cheers. Steve.