Nvidia cards and Fedora 22 kernel upgrades

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 22 19:57:04 CEST 2015

On 16/07/15 14:20, Roderick Johnstone wrote:
> On 16/07/15 13:54, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 7:16 AM, Roderick Johnstone <rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
>> <mailto:rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
>>     I didn't see a fix for this in your note about the new akmods
>>     package you have in testing or in other recent threads, but I might
>>     have overlooked something.
>>

>> I'm hoping that since the new akmods script will detect dnf vs. yum that
>> that will fix a lot of the problems people are having.
>

> Thanks. I'll try your new package when it hits the testing repos.
>

>>     A dirty workaround for me would be to make the akmods.service file
>>     run /usr/sbin/akmods --force as the ExecStart line, but I have seen
>>     reports on google that you can't easily pass parameters to the
>>     ExecStart command like that.
>>

>> No, options are pretty standard in ExecStart, what you might be thinking
>> of are other bash commands. Systemd starts executables directly, not
>> within a "shell" so other things you might expect to work on the command
>> line could fail but passing options is fine.
>
> Thanks for the explanation. Having re-read the page I found I see that I
> misunderstood what it said.
>
> Roderick

So, having copied the akmods.service file to /etc/systemd/system (as
Harald Reindl suggested) and added --force it is now building and
installing the kmod on reboot.

(Actually I also removed --from-init which I realise now was probably a
mistake but probably not causing the problems I'm seeing here.)

However, the kernel module is not loaded and so the graphical display
does not start until either I reboot again or change run levels and run
modprobe nvidia.

Any idea whats going on here?

Thanks.

Roderick