Nvidia cards and Fedora 22 kernel upgrades

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 22:46:29 CEST 2015

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Roderick Johnstone <rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk>
wrote:

> So, having copied the akmods.service file to /etc/systemd/system (as
> Harald Reindl suggested) and added --force it is now building and
> installing the kmod on reboot.
>
> (Actually I also removed --from-init which I realise now was probably a
> mistake but probably not causing the problems I'm seeing here.)
>
> However, the kernel module is not loaded and so the graphical display does
> not start until either I reboot again or change run levels and run modprobe
> nvidia.
>
> Any idea whats going on here?

Hard to say... It's supposed to run prior to the display manager so I'm not
sure why a reboot at that point would be necessary.

One thing I just noticed is there doesn't seem to be a
display-manager.service symlink anymore, when gdm.service is enabled, an
systemd unit alias to display-manager.service is created... I would think
that would still work but it doesn't seem to be in your case.

I wonder if I should change the requirement to "Before=graphical.target"?

Thanks,
Richard