nvidia304 hangs with fc23 kernel

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Jun 30 12:48:37 CEST 2016

Yesterday I ran dnf system upgrade from fc22 to fc23.  It all seemed
very smooth (4185 packages) until it rebooted to emergency mode.  After
repairs by fsck it runs happily under 4.4.13-200.fc22 but just hangs
with a black screen and a flashing cursor with 4.5.7-200.fc23

yumex-dnf seems inconsistent in reporting the state of the fc23 kernel,
akmod-nvidia-304xx and kmod.  Now it is showing them as uninstalled,
with 'Error(s) in search for dependencies' if I try to install the
current 4.5.7-200.fc23

An attempt to install 4.2.3-300.fc23 is apparently seen as a downgrade
of 4.4.12-200.fc22 (not the running kernel) and is then rejected as
conflicting.

I suppose I can continue as is until the next kernel appears - but a fix
would be better :-)

I was able to rpmbuild --rebuild the rpmfusion mythtv-0.28-3.fc24 srpm,
and have it running now.  Strangely, an attempt to update my earlier
fc22 build of mythtv master failed with qt5 problems.

John P