Nvidia Drivers

stan Cuex_groppUd0 at q.com
Sun Nov 6 19:38:29 CET 2016

On Sun, 06 Nov 2016 06:55:27 +0000
Sérgio Basto <sergio at serjux.com> wrote:

> yeah, from Xorg.log:
> X.Org X Server 1.18.99.902 (1.19.0 RC 2)
> Release Date: 2016-10-28
>
> that is why nvidia is broken .

That new version of X also gives problems to the radeon driver.  When I
try to do anything that requires significant graphics processing
(pygame, vlc, mplayer, ffplay), they run about 1/8 speed (ffplay
doesn't but eventually hangs). It isn't noticeable in the GUI because
I'm so slow, as a human (last time I checked). I still have X 1.19 in
rawhide, and it is slow. When I downgraded X to 1.18 in F25, everything
started working properly again.

They must have turned off optimization, or hardware acceleration, in
these test candidates, or something.  So, as a workaround, find out
which xorg-x11-server* packages you have installed, go to koji and get
them for X 1.18 and do a local dnf -C downgrade of X.  Then use -x
xorg* on any future updates to stay at 1.18.