Nvidia Drivers

stan Cuex_groppUd0 at q.com
Sun Nov 6 20:22:49 CET 2016

On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 11:38:29 -0700
stan <Cuex_groppUd0 at q.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Nov 2016 06:55:27 +0000
> Sérgio Basto <sergio at serjux.com> wrote:
>
> > yeah, from Xorg.log:
> > X.Org X Server 1.18.99.902 (1.19.0 RC 2)
> > Release Date: 2016-10-28
> >
> > that is why nvidia is broken .
>
> That new version of X also gives problems to the radeon driver.  When
> I try to do anything that requires significant graphics processing
> (pygame, vlc, mplayer, ffplay), they run about 1/8 speed (ffplay
> doesn't but eventually hangs). It isn't noticeable in the GUI because
> I'm so slow, as a human (last time I checked). I still have X 1.19 in
> rawhide, and it is slow. When I downgraded X to 1.18 in F25,
> everything started working properly again.
>
> They must have turned off optimization, or hardware acceleration, in
> these test candidates, or something.  So, as a workaround, find out
> which xorg-x11-server* packages you have installed, go to koji and get
> them for X 1.18 and do a local dnf -C downgrade of X.  Then use -x
> xorg* on any future updates to stay at 1.18.

Yet, when I tried playing youtube videos in firefox nightly, they
played as normal.  I compile with cairo-gtk3 and with-X as options, so
maybe that has something to do with it.  But it doesn't make sense that
local players should have problems with local videos if firefox can play
remote videos.  For what it is worth, I also compile mplayer locally,
so it should be using the latest libraries too.

Puzzling.