Xorg crash with nvidia drivers on Fedora 25

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Nov 14 00:03:50 CET 2016

Am 13.11.2016 um 22:57 schrieb stan:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 09:46:15 -0500
> Jeff Layton <jlayton at poochiereds.net> wrote:
>
>> I just updated my main workstation to Fedora 25 (via dnf system-
>> upgrade), and Xorg is consistently crashing.
> [snip]
>> My guess is that something changed in the version of Xorg between f24
>> and f25. Anyone else seeing this? nvidia-bug-report is attached.
>
> Your guess is correct.  X went from 1.18 to 1.19.  Seems it should have
> gone to 2.0 since it is not backward compatible.  Below is a message
> from an rpmfusion admin about this

why should it have gone to 2.0?
because you are using hardware with a blob-driver?

no, you are at your own - there is no reason to run a NON-RELEASED
fedora-version with binary drivers and in fact no reason to use hardware
which won't work out of the box in 2016 - said from someonbe who is
using proper hardware on Fedora for many years

why in the world do you play around with F25 when your hardware depends
on a commercial vendor where Linus had the right sign long ago?

stay at F24 and be happy - that's it!