Xorg crash with nvidia drivers on Fedora 25

stan Cuex_groppUd0 at q.com
Mon Nov 14 03:15:50 CET 2016

On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 00:03:50 +0100
Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> why should it have gone to 2.0?
> because you are using hardware with a blob-driver?

Actually, I'm using the open source radeon driver, with a 4.9 kernel.
I would expect that to work without alteration if X 1.19 was compatible
with X 1.18.

> no, you are at your own - there is no reason to run a NON-RELEASED
> fedora-version with binary drivers and in fact no reason to use
> hardware which won't work out of the box in 2016 - said from someonbe
> who is using proper hardware on Fedora for many years

In rawhide, with 1.19, there are graphics issues.  In F25, with 1.18,
there are no issues.  Same hardware.  In F25, with 1.19 the same issues
as appear in rawhide occur.  That to me is backward incompatibility,
and should be flagged via the version number.  YMMV

> why in the world do you play around with F25 when your hardware
> depends on a commercial vendor where Linus had the right sign long
> ago?

That's why I switched to amd graphics.  I can use the latest kernels
without worrying about drivers.