OCE now GPL licensed

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Jan 12 18:13:40 CET 2014

Richard Shaw wrote:
> It appears as of OpenCascade 6.7.0 [snip] that it is now gpl licensed.

Hooray! (LGPL version 2.1 + exception ("License: LGPLv2 with exceptions"),
to be precise.) Finally a Free Software 3D CAD solution.

> (OCE 0.14)

However, that is unfortunately NOT true! Only OCE 0.15 and higher (current
git master) have the new license. The current stable 0.14.1 is still
licensed under the old proprietary license. OpenCascade 6.7.0 was imported
only after OCE 0.14 was branched.

> I need to double check but I think that means that this can now move to
> Fedora proper.

As far as I can tell, it has been relicensed by the copyright holder, so
there should be nothing preventing it from entering Fedora anymore. But only
git master, or version 0.15 and higher when released, can be imported into
Fedora, NOT 0.14.x or older.

        Kevin Kofler