rpmfusion based spin

KH KH kwizart at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 16:50:05 CEST 2008

2008/8/26 Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have been keep a tab on rpmfusion progress by reading the archives and  it
> seems the repository is getting reading for launch soon. Congrats on that.
>
> My primary interest here at the moment is creating a spin based on rpmfusion
> and Fedora which  Thorsten Leemhuis mentioned as desirable in one of his
> earlier mails to this list.
I don't know if Thorsten ever mention such "spin" but having both
rpmfusion and fedora on the same media is a very hard legal issue.
Actually that's even not possible at all without removing the name
Fedora from such spin. (meaning removing artworks and some others
packages i don't remember).
To be more accurate: You can do such spins for yourself (either with
free only or with nonfree packages), but you cannot redistribute the
spin telling it is Fedora. (because it won't be fedora anymore). But
you can (have to ?) tell this work is based (derived?) on Fedora.

Instead we (since we already discuss this some time ago, and Mathias
seems to have answered the same as I will), "decided" to do an
additional media with RPMFusion packages at the release date of each
Fedora version.
This media will be used along with the official Fedora installation
media to provides additional packages for RPMFusion and will be useful
for people that doesn't have a fast internet connexion.

> So before I put in some effort, a few questions:
>
>  * Is this seen as a worthwhile effort by rpmfusion contributors?
>
>  * My primary effort would be around a live cd based on the desktop live cd
> from Fedora but I would like to hear your thoughts on other variants as
> well.
Not trivial at all because of theses Legal issues.
Would be better to stay at the documentation step and leave end-users
with building their own spins. (not redistributable in anycases as
soon as there is non-fedora packages).
But we can provide a .ks file instead.

>  * What should the package content be? Should both rpmfusion-free and
> rpmfusion-nonfree repository installed by default? What are the important
> packages you want to see included? Keep in mind that in the live cd atleast,
> we would have to drop some existing packages to accommodate new ones.
Not desirable at all.
If we stay at the documentation step, we can tell end-users to only
install it own localization files. This will save around 200Mo from
the official Fedora livecd. Then, end-users will be able to add
whatever they want.
>  * What do you want to call the spin as? My idea was that the spin name
> should be different the repository name to avoid confusion and unique
> identify what we are talking about easily. Does freefusion sound good?
>
> Any other feedback is welcome as well. Finally, it would also be useful I
> can get some hosting space to upload content as we test the spins. Thanks.
Having space dedicated for RPMFusion packagers would be a good thing
(review)... but that's another problem.