rpmfusion based spin

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Aug 26 17:16:22 CEST 2008

CC'ing the Fedora Spins SIG mailing list as this concerns most of the
subscribers there as well.

KH KH wrote:
> 2008/8/26 Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been keep a tab on rpmfusion progress by reading the archives and  it
>> seems the repository is getting reading for launch soon. Congrats on that.
>>
>> My primary interest here at the moment is creating a spin based on rpmfusion
>> and Fedora which  Thorsten Leemhuis mentioned as desirable in one of his
>> earlier mails to this list.
> I don't know if Thorsten ever mention such "spin" but having both
> rpmfusion and fedora on the same media is a very hard legal issue.
> Actually that's even not possible at all without removing the name
> Fedora from such spin. (meaning removing artworks and some others
> packages i don't remember).

FWIW, if RPMFusion wishes to provide and distribute their own version of
Fedora, including whatever packages not in Fedora, either Free or free
or not free at all, right now this is enough:

%packages
# Remove the fedora-logos package and include something without
# Fedora trademarked material
-fedora-logos
generic-logos (or: rpmfusion-logos if you have the artwork)
# Include rpmfusion-release as well
rpmfusion-release
%end

%post
# Substitute the Fedora name in /etc/fedora-release and /etc/issue,
# which are both owned by package fedora-release, so that it doesn't
# pop up in all kinds of weird places such as when booting the machine
# ("Welcome to .... Press I to start interactive ..." comes to mind).
# Note that _all_ trademarks are supposed to be in fedora-logos.
sed -i -e 's/Fedora/RPMFusion/g' /etc/fedora-release /etc/issue
%end

And you're done.

> To be more accurate: You can do such spins for yourself (either with
> free only or with nonfree packages), but you cannot redistribute the
> spin telling it is Fedora. (because it won't be fedora anymore). But
> you can (have to ?) tell this work is based (derived?) on Fedora.

This (being able to say "based on Fedora") is pending the new trademark
policy at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/NewTrademarkGuidelines

I hope this clarifies some of the issues wrt. a RPMFusion spin.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip