Why do kmods automatically depend on kmod-common?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Dec 10 20:06:58 CET 2008

On 10.12.2008 12:06, Felix Kaechele wrote:

> I'm trying to package the zaptel drivers for RPMFusion. I ran into the
> problem that zaptel (which is in Fedora) removed it's "Provides:
> zaptel-kmod-common" in late 2006. Now, of course, there are dependency
> problems when trying to install the kmod.
> Is it absolutely necessary to depend on kmod-common or can this be
> deactivated somewhere in the spec?

Right now there is no easy way around it. And I'm unsure if there should
be one: Each package normally has a license and a Readme that need to be
packaged somewhere. That what the common package was designed for.

> Or should I contact the Maintainer of zaptel in Fedora and ask him to
> provide zaptel-kmod-common within his package again?

That is likely the easiest solution, yes. You could also submit a small
zaptel-kernel-module (or something like that) package that provides
zaptel-kmod-common and shipts docs, license and readme, just like the
small rt28{67}0 packages do.

Cu