Livna still needs to be maintained until RPM Fusion started

KH KH kwizart at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 10:13:22 CEST 2008

2008/7/24 Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info>:
> Hi!
>
> There were some discussions in private, so I think it's best to bring this
> up on the list.
>
> I'd like to ask all Livna maintainers to please continue with proper package
> maintaining in Livna for now until we start to carry users over from Livna
> to RPM Fusion. That should hopefully happen soon -- two weeks maybe if
> everything works out well (proper DNS, better filled repos, more space for
> the mastr-repo on the buildsys and proper release RPMs are the main things
> that are needed before we start with that).
>
> IOW: if you import
> - a new version of an existing package
> - a new package which obsoletes other Livna packages
> to RPM Fusion *please* import and build it for Livna as well for now.
>
> Yes, that is a bit of extra work, but that way the RPM Fusion (which has no
> users yet) packages get indirectly tested in Livna (which has a lot of users
> and testers); that is IMHO very important and will lead to better packages
> in RPM Fusion!
I Vote against -1 - and i would say: strongly against as this is not a
clean way.

This is not possible to do this:
- Update package
- import new package wich obsoletes Upgrade/Path
That will break upgrade path from either livna/freshrpms to rpmfusion.

But it can still be possible to rebuilt package if needed (for library
version bump)
unless that package already be imported in rpmfusion.

Instead , if users really care to test, they will need to add
livna-development and rpmfusion development in their repo.
That 's the only way to test new packages that indeed targeted to be used.

This could have been a problem if the livna-development repository has
introduced a package that has an ABI break.
We don't have this case, (until ffmpeg is updated i guess) which will
lead to usual rawhide breakage if that appear.

But i would say, as nobody reported breakage for the new libraw1394.
We don't have testers yet anyway.

Nicolas (kwizart)