OpenAFS and Static Libraries

Jack Neely jjneely at ncsu.edu
Fri Mar 4 16:57:35 CET 2011

Folks,

I have two quandaries about my OpenAFS packages.  Both of which are a
bit problematic when trying to conform to the Fedora Packaging
Guidelines.

OpenAFS has a slew of static libraries that are part of upstream's
packages and used for just about anything that uses OpenAFS's C API,
such as the perl-AFS modules.

I've removed them from my packages here in rpmFusion because shipping
static libraries is against the Fedora package guidelines.  Turns out
this is preventing a lot of stuff we have from being able to build in
our RHEL 6 and Fedora 14 environments.

Consulting

    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines#Packaging_Static_Libraries

it looks like the proper thing to do is include these static libraries in
the -devel sub-package and have that sub-package provide openafs-static.

Secondly, many more experienced AFS administrators prefer the old
Transarc style paths over the FHS paths that my packages use.  I would
like to create an openafs-transarc sub-package that includes the
symlinks that would enable these non-standard paths.  (Specifically,
/usr/afs and /usr/vice.)

The first issue with the static libs really needs to happen.  The second
issue is just pure annoyance but will make these packages more usable to
certain folks.  I'd like to do both.  Are there any comments or reason
why I should not?

Jack Neely
--
Jack Neely <jjneely at ncsu.edu>